ALLIANCE, OH – As Fall comes to an end, so do most of the elected terms within your fraternity/sorority. So with that comes elections. Elections within fraternities and sororities can be one of the most stressful times of the year. But it is also the time of year where newer or existing members get a chance to step up and be the change they want to see in the chapter.
A lot of people get really worried about running for a new position. They think, “oh I won’t be good at it, people may not like me, or what happens if I don’t do a good job?” All of those things are things that you learn when you try new things and expand outside of your comfort zone to try to implement change in things you think can be done better or you may not like the way it’s currently done.
“Oh, but what happens if I don’t get it?” Failure is apart of life. Failure is something that you should welcome into your life as it is always something you can learn from and improve. Thomas Edison once said, “I have not failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that didn’t work.” If you run for a position in your fraternity or sorority and don’t get it, DO NOT get discouraged. There are always ways to show that you are still interested in the position to learn from the experience to do better.
Some helpful tips:
1. Write a speech beforehand, it’s good to know what you are going to say before you give your speech.
2. You will be nervous without a doubt. That shows that you care. When you give your speech, stand up, take a deep breath, and speak with confidence.
3. Slow down. Don’t try to give your speech super-fast. No one is in rush. Take your time, speak slowly and make sure you can articulate what it is you want to say, that way everyone can understand you.
4. Don’t speak too quietly and with your head down. Have good posture, be positive, and make sure you will be heard, and people will remember you.
5. Have fun. Fraternity and sorority life is something that’s supposed to build you up, not tear you down. At the end of things, don’t forget what your fraternity/sorority means to you and why you are there.
It is a very good idea to run for positions within your chapter. No change will ever happen from just complaining about it. Be the change you want to see in the world and don’t let anyone stop you from doing so. Happy elections.