sae-vbm

ALLIANCE, Ohio — This Saturday the brothers of Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE) will host their annual Volleyball Marathon to raise money for local charities.

The Volleyball Marathon has been the marquee philanthropy event for the SAE chapter at Mount Union for over 15 years. The tournament is an event that the campus community gets excited for, whether you’re playing or spectating there is fun for all.  

When talking about the importance of the event to the brothers, Philanthropy Chairman and Director of the tournament, sophomore Jacob Labonte said “ It is a time for our entire brotherhood to get together to give back to the community and have a blast with everyone from campus”.

This year the brothers plan to do something a bit different to immerse the community. At 1pm on Saturday all play will cease and a showcase match between the Alliance Police Department and the Alliance Fire Department will hit center court. The winning department will receive a portion of the proceeds to be donated to the charity of their choice.

The proceeds from the event will be donated to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals (Akron Children’s) and other local charities. Akron Children’s Hospital is the nearest Children's Miracle Network hospital and will receive 65% of the funds raised. The other 35% will be donated to the local domestic abuse shelter.

The tournament is double elimination style with two brackets, all women’s and coed. Play will begin on Saturday at 10:00am, with day-of registration taking place at 9:00am. Aside from volleyball the brothers are offering yard games, raffle baskets, and food for purchase. There are also event shirts available for $10. Contact Jacob Labonte for more information. Repeat participant and volleyball enthusiast, senior Tirzah Curry said “ I love VBM because not only does it bring the Greek Life community together but there are other teams from other organizations playing and so in turn it brings the whole campus together”.  

The event is sure to be fun for all. So, if you’re looking for something exciting to do on a fall Saturday head on over to the Sigma Alpha Epsilon house to support their philanthropy. For more information about the event and how to sign up contact Jacob Labonte at labontjr2021@mountunion.edu.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.